Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree

I've become a little irritated by the apparent conspiracy against me to make me question whether or not I have any genetic link to the children I have bore.  borne.  whatever. 

Everywhere we go, people feel the need to inform me that my children look "exactly" like Handy Daddy, and I'm starting to feel how some men must feel when someone's giving them that questioning look...you know...the look that says "are you SURE those are your children?" 

First of all, my children don't even look alike.  So, how can they both look "exactly" like their father.  I will admit, The Bug does look more like her father.  But she does have most of my features.  She just has Handy Daddy's brow, and that seems to do the trick of making her look like Handy Daddy.

But, Tootsie...that girl looks like her Mama. 

We dress alike.

 

















We sleep alike.

You will notice at least three bottles lined up on the headboard of the bed.  How thirsty did I get in the middle of the night?  Lord have mercy!


I noticed that the crib rails are the exact match to the rails on the headboard of the bed I'm sleeping in above.  Weird!

We laugh alike, too.



We even look alike at play.


Try to ignore the fact that I'm barefoot and in only a diaper as I stroll amongst the rusted gas cans and chicken wire.  I'm from the country -- that's how we roll.


And that's how Tootsie rolls.
Don't get me wrong -- it's not that I don't want them to look like Handy Daddy.  And it's not about my own vanity.  It's just that I suffered to produce these children.  I just want to see some of myself in them.  And I do.

Although the Bug looks a little more like Handy Daddy, she has Mama's temperament all the way.  There's no question that if she took the "which Friends character are you" quiz (if such a quiz even exists), she would be a Monica.

And Tootsie doesn't seem to have Mama's temperament so much.  But she looks just like me.  I actually see my mother when I look at her.

What frustrates me is that no one else seems to see it.  And they constantly remind me that they don't see it.

So should I just start carrying around my baby pictures so that people will believe that these are, in fact, my children?  Because carrying around DNA results...well....that'd just be crazy.





10 comments:

  1. haha 'and that's how Tootsie rolls'!!
    Yeah, just print out this page and carry it around. People won't think you're [that] crazy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not the ones who know me already, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm ... I have a similar dilemma. Sometimes I feel like I should just carry my baby & childhood pictures around in my purse so that I can pull them out at any minute for proof. Believe it or not, the child that everyone says looks like my husband looks exactly like me as a child. The oldest ... she and her daddy look exactly like in childhood pictures. Can you believe the hubs had blonde hair and was a skinny-minny as a child? Yep.

    Anyway, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I remember having this conversation with you. and I remember your post on this subject. we're fightin for a common cause...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one, Baby, but where are my pics for the comparison? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I could 'like' your comment back to HD, I totally would. :)

    I see the similarities, if it makes you feel better; Tootsie looks MUCH more like you than she does her Daddy. Now The Bug.... that's a race you done lost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. re: my comment to HD -- yeah, like he hasn't received enough glory for his genetic culpability!

    And I know about the Bug. That's why I didn't even bother. That brow resemblance to HD overshadows all of the resemblance to the more delicate features she got from me..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Culpability. Good use of the words there. :)

    You mean features such as her light and delicate temperament, and her superfluous patience and such as? Yes. The brow clearly overshadows all of those things. It's a shame really. A cryin' shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay, you got me. all I could do was laugh!

    ReplyDelete