Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Happy Birthday to the Man!

Yesterday was Handy Daddy's birthday - the big 4-2.  And I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking, "Mama, you don't look like you could be in your forties."  Well, that's very sweet of you, and you're absolutely right about that.  In fact, I'm nowhere near.  Because Handy Daddy is ten years older than me.

Had to get that out in the open straight away.

So, being the wonderful little wifey that I am, I let Handy Daddy sleep late while the girls and I baked blueberry muffins (one of his "favorites" -- he has many "favorites").

Tootsie and the Bug "helping" Mama make muffins.
Then he opened a few gifts.  The girls loved the hats I picked out.  Handy Daddy....not so much.  I know you can't tell by the expression on his face, but you could gift him with roadkill, and he would still have this expression.  It's weird. 






Then, I decided to invite some friends over for some chili and made one of Handy Daddy's favourite desserts.

No, I don't like to cook.

I do like to bake, but find it to be a little more difficult with children hanging on my legs.  That can be just a tad bit distracting, you know.

But I sucked it up and put on my big girl panties and worked it out so that my honey could have a good meal and a phat cake with some friends on his birthday.


This is us before the cake.


This is the top of the cake...

...and the side of the cake.


This is Tara AFTER the cake.
Actually, I'd like to blame it on the cake, but she and her honey fall asleep pretty much every time they have dinner with us.  Nice.

We played a rousing game of Battle of the Sexes.  Technically the guys won, but we all know in our hearts that the women really won.  I'll just leave it at that.



I made two batches of chili from Southern Living magazine.  The meaty chili called for a 12 oz. bottle of dark beer.  I haven't bought beer in about 10 years.  So that was weird.  And then the clerk didn't even card me when I bought it.  I was appalled!!  I texted my friends to tell them about my traumatic experience and David's response was "they don't card people with wrinkles."  Added insult to injury, he did.

On a completely unrelated note, my friend David does a great chinaman impression.  We call it the "Mit-tah Day-bid."

You asked for it, my friend.

So how 'bout that cake, huh?  I'm gonna just tell you -- it is THE BOMB.

I discovered it in the 2002 Southern Living Christmas book I got as a wedding gift, and have made it every year for Christmas since then.  Except last year, because I was cooking a turducken and having 20 people over for Christmas dinner.

NO, I really don't like to cook.  But when you're Southern, you just have no choice.  If you're Southern and can't cook, your chances of finding a mate are very slim indeed.  Unless you find a mate who cooks.  And I did not find that mate.  (He's not a cook, but he's very handy!)

...moving along...

Here's the recipe for the cake, and you're gonna want to try it.  I mean, look at that name...Lord, have mercy!

New Orleans Double-Chocolate Christmas Praline-Fudge Cake

1 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
Chocolate Ganache
Praline Frosting
Garnish:  Chopped pecans

Cook first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth; remove from heat.  Cool.
Beat buttermilk, 2 eggs, baking soda, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.  Add butter mixture to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.  Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.  (Batter will be thin.)
Coat 3 (8") round cake pans with cooking spray; line with wax paper.  Pour batter evenly into pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 22-24 minutes or until set.  Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove from pans, and cool layers completely.
Spread about 1/2 cup ganache between cake layers; spread remainder on sides of cake.  Chill cake 1/2 hour.  Pour frosting slowly over center of cake, spreading to edges, allowing some frosting to run over sides.  

Chocolate Ganache
2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate morsels
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
Microwave chocolate morsels and cream in a glass bowl at MEDIUM (50%) power 2 to 3 minutes or until morsels are melted.  Whisk until smooth.  Gradually add butter, whisking until smooth.  Cool, whisking often, 15-20 minutes or until spreading consistency.  

Praline Frosting
(Do not prepare this frosting ahead because it'll harden very quickly.)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup whipping  cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring often; boil 1 minute.  Remove from heat, and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.  Add toasted pecans, stirring gently 2 to 5 minutes or until frosting begins to cool and thicken slightly.  Pour immediately over cake.

Bon Appetit!




4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I'm gonna have to end this friendship. It's been fun. But unfortunately, my anonymity keeps getting compromised, and my once stellar reputation as a dinner guest with no "issues" has been damaged. You'll be hearing from my attorney. Or counselor. Or whomever will be handling the fallout from all this.
    - you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I DID know....because so many of my dinner guests fit the description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - I know an attorney who can handle this for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Handy Daddy -- I KNOW you just didn't... I hope you enjoyed that cake....

    ReplyDelete