Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dream on


Okay, so when I say the Bug loves Lightning McQueen, I mean the girl LOVES Lightning McQueen.

You know, the red racecar on Cars -- the cartoon racecar.

Yes, I know she's only 4, and this is the era of make-believe.  But I think she really believes with her whole heart that she will marry Lightning McQueen one day.  And our many attempts to get this kid to understand that even if the animated hot rod were here in the "flesh," you cannot marry a car in the good ole' US of A.  (Not yet anyway.)

And so the little dreamer fills us in daily of her plans of wedded bliss with her "prince."

  • "Mama, in my dreams I am Princess [Bug] and my prince is Lightning McQueen."
  • "Mama, when we grow up, me and Lightning will get married and have a cute little baby and move to New Orleans."
  • "Mama, when me and Lightning get married, I don't want to have a baby in my tummy.  Because it hurts to cut it out.  I want you to have my baby in your tummy."
  • When I ask if she will have a car baby or human baby, she says, "A hooman baby!"
  • (as she is laying in her sleeping bag) "Mama, I am inside Mack." (Lightning McQueen's truck & trailer)  I say, "Oh, are you Lightning McQueen?"  She looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "No, silly.  I am Princess [Bug], his wife."
Nevermind that Lightning McQueen already has a girlfriend, Sally.  It's like Sally doesn't even exist.  She is not in the least bit threatened by Sally.  No insecurities for her. 

For the most part, I think this is cute and funny.  But I don't think I can get used to her saying she's someone's "wife."  Now that's just weird.

Oh, and did I mention that Larry the Cucumber is her brother, Ariel is her sister and Snow White is her "girlfriend"?

Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities.  Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.  --Lucius Annaeus Seneca

2 comments:

  1. I was away from my computer for a few days and I missed this one! You were talking about this tonight though... that girl dere. She is so funny. I love her unwavering commitment though. You gotta give her that. That girl is loyal to that car. :)

    ReplyDelete