Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bring it, Probst...

So after several weeks and about 10 or so tries, I have finally succeeded in cooking brown rice in a pot on the stove without scorching the rice at the bottom of the pot.  That's right, I am now, after much trial and error, in possession of the exact formula of rice to water ratio, heat intensity and cook time.  Look out NASA, there's a new kid in town.

Anywho...

My success at cooking one cup of brown rice is quite the self-esteem builder.  I feel like I've finally arrived.  I am now a bonafide grown-up.

Nevermind I'm over 30, been married almost 8 years and have birthed two babies.

You come to my house.  You're hungry.  I can cook you a mean cup of rice. 

Now, really, I guess cooking rice does not equate adulthood.  It really just means I got skillz.  The only problem is, I can only cook one cup.  You see, my formula calls for one cup, and I have no idea if it would work with multiple cups.  I mean, I'd have to tinker with the aforementioned rice to water ratio, heat intensity and cook time.  And I don't have several more weeks for that.  I think it would just be quicker to cook one cup of rice over and over until I had enough. 

Of course, maybe I could make the time for this experiment, because it could actually pay off in the long run.  I mean, what if I got called up to go on Survivor?  That's all they eat on that show.  If I could cook more than one cup of rice to the absolute perfection I've attained with the one cup, my skillz would be invaluable...or worth $1 million...same difference.

Speaking of Survivor, the countdown starts today.  Two more weeks people. 

Outwit....outlast....outplay.  I'm all about it, baby.

That's it -- I'm goin' cook some rice.




3 comments:

  1. AAhhhhahahahahahaaa! You crazy guh.

    By the way, good on ya with the rice 'cause I can only do mine in a rice cooker. Over an open fire... nah. I'd have to be good at some other skill. Not that I'd ever be out there b/c please. I cannot live with the thought of bugs crawling on me at night while I'm trying to get comfortable sleeping by all those Big Shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, have you tried cooking brown rice in a rice cooker? I think rice cookers were made for white rice. I don't know. I mean, you have to cook brown rice longer, and there is no "longer" button on a rice cooker. Just "cook." that's it.

    And really, after I thought about it some more, I was like, "who am I kidding?" I couldn't make it on Survivor. If I have to wait too long for a table at Chili's, there's the possibility of someone getting hurt. I cannot deal with hunger. My blood sugar drops, and I become violent. It's very similar to my demeanor after indulging in a few too many adult beverages....hmmmm.....I wonder if there's a connection there.....

    But the bugs and the Big Shots probably wouldn't bother me much at all. I mean, I'm a Big Shot after all. And speaking of Big Shots, haven't you slept at a Holiday Inn? ha! busted, you big ole' Big Shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Survivor..... WoooooHoooooo!

    ReplyDelete