Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What is love? And, no, this is not a Valentine post...



Y'all.

I got hit in the head with a load of bricks this morning.

Not literally, of course, because I'd probably be laid up instead of typing this right now, but, anyway...

I have a Bible study in my home every Tuesday morning.  We're doing Beth Moore's study, Jesus the One and Only. 

Have I mentioned how much I love her studies? 

I am a Bible reader.  I read the Bible every year.  I am not a studyer....studier...Is that a word?  Anyway, that's why I love her studies so much, because she does for me what I cannot seem to do for myself.  Don't get me wrong...I know my Bible.  In fact, when we play Bible trivia games in our Supper Club, everyone wants to be on my team.  Now, I'm not saying I can go toe-to-toe with a Jehovah's Witness or something like that.  And I'm not saying that I have the Bible memorized or can tell you exactly where to find a scripture.  I can just tell you "who," "what," "when," "where" and sometimes "why."  Now, actually applying all this to the way I live my life....well there's the tricky part.  And I am far from mastering that part.

So I tell you all this to tell you that Beth knocked me in the head with a load of bricks this morning with something she taught me.  And I know I've read this scripture probably about a thousand times.  But, boy, have I missed the message.

She was teaching on the Sermon on the Mount, which was recounted for us in Matthew 5 and again by Dr. Luke in the sixth chapter of his Gospel. 

But I tell you who hear me:  Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  Luke 5:27-28 (NIV)

Okay, so how many times have we heard or read this?  About a zillion.

What does it mean to you?

Well, in my own mind, it meant I was to suck it up and not retaliate.  Don't seek revenge.  Take it and be a "good Christian" and let God handle the rest.

After, all, there's this verse to support my thoughts:

If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.  In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.  Romans 12:20 (NIV)

So, I conclude, I will do the good "Christian" thing and do good towards my enemies and the Good Lord will "get" them for all the wrong they did to me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....wait a minute.  Back up a bit.  What does Romans 12:9 say?

Love must be sincere.  Romans 12:9 (NIV)

So, when My Lord gave His sermon on the mount, and He told us to "love" our enemy....He meant we have to really love them???  Not just put on a smile and act like we love them.  Love must be sincere.  

We aren't allowed to just put on a show.  That's not good enough.  We are to really love them.

But, Lord, I can't help the way I feel!  This person hurt me.  How can I actually love them?  I can forgive them.  I can be kind to them.  That....I can do that.  But you want me to love them????

Wow.

Maybe this was obvious to you, but this was just eye-opening for me.  

Beth went on to say that it may seem impossible to love your enemy, because we may not be able to control the way we feel.  But we can control the way we think, which will affect the way we feel.

Boy, do I have some work to do.

And what about the "burning coals," Lord?

You know, I think about this a lot.  Because Lord knows I've hurt people.  We've all hurt people.  Is the Lord gonna dump burning coals on all of us?  

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.  Romans 8:1 (NIV)

Now, I am far from a Bible scholar, and I'm not saying I really know anything here.

But here's what I think about the burning coals --

If I did something to hurt someone, and they, in turn, loved me -- really loved me -- how would that make me feel?  I would feel terrible.  I would feel like the scum of the earth.  I would kick myself and beat myself up and almost want them to do something to retaliate.  God wouldn't even have to punish me, because I'd probably do a good job of punishing myself.  

Now, the Lord would in no way want me to drown in self-condemnation. After I dump the burning coals on my own head...

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9 (NIV)

It's that easy.

We serve a good God, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. Uff! That's some heavy stuff. Hits you right in the gizzard, huh? It's so much easier to just act nice. This is a high calling He's called us to... but His spirit within us makes us able. He takes us by the hand and guides us into all the truth there is. He's sweet like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High calling, indeed. Thank Him that He guides us....don't know what I'd do without Him.

    ReplyDelete