Protected by Copyscape Original Content Check

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Step One! We can have lots of fun...

My baby girl did have her 2nd birthday this week, and I will get to that at some point.  But I have to tell you all something really exciting that happened to Mama yesterday. 

The 12 year old girl inside Mama had her dreams come true last night.

I saw New Kids on the Block – LIVE in concert.


It all started a few days ago, when my friend Jodie blogged about one of her best memories of her teenage years being her dad bringing home tickets to a New Kids concert.  I left a comment there, professing my love for them as well.  I kidded that we should try to score some tickets to the concert this weekend, since our kids are too young to be embarrassed by their mamas squealing like little girls at a boy band concert.

I had no idea that was to be a prophetic comment.

I never did hear “Thus sayeth the Lord….”

But I woke up yesterday morning with a text from Jodie asking if I could go if she got free tickets to the NKOTB concert. 

My heart sank. 

I was to be driving with Handy Daddy to Shreveport to attend his brother’s graduation ceremony. 

I mentioned Jodie’s text to Daddy.  He looked at me, puzzled….then said, “Well, you can go if you want to.”

I raced back to the phone to text Jodie and the rest is history.

I dropped the kiddos off for a sleepover and went back home to an empty house.

Just me and the NKOTB videos.

That’s right – I dug them out of the storage closet. 

Three VHS tapes I’ve had since I was about 11 or 12.  I almost sold them at a garage sale a few years ago, but Handy Daddy convinced me not to. 

Boy, am I glad he did.  Those things came in handy. 

You see, my internet has been down for three days, so I couldn’t brush up on my lyrics by watching YouTube. 

Thank goodness for my trusty VHS tapes and player. 

Oh, I sat with the remote and the memories came flooding back.

I had much love for them boys when I was a tween.  And that love has lain dormant for many years.

(I searched high and low for a photo of myself sportin' my gigantic New Kids buttons, but to no avail! If I ever come across them, I'll be sure to update.)

I giggled with excitement watching the videos.  But I also thought to myself, “Okay, this is going to be so cheesy.  But I can’t believe I’m finally going to SEE them.” 

Have you ever had a dream and it never came true???  And then, many years later when the dream didn’t matter anymore, it happens, and you’re not sure what to make of it??

That’s what happened to me yesterday.

Let’s be real.

I am not the same person I was when I loved them boys.

All I wanted when I was 12 years old was to marry Donnie Wahlberg and ride around the country with him on his tour bus, turning my nose up at all the girls throwing themselves at my man.

Pahahahahaha!!!!!

If that’s not ridiculous, I don’t know what is.

Here I am, 33 years old, happily married with 2 beautiful children. 

I am not going to show up at the New Kids concert, catch Donnie Wahlberg’s eye, and ride off into the sunset with him on his tour bus.

No, there was no chance of that.  The whole thing is just absurd.

That’s what was so funny about this whole experience.

I was going to the concert I desperately wanted to go to over 20 years ago, with a completely different agenda.

I just wanted to have fun.

And boy did I.

Like I said, I thought this would be cheesy and couldn’t possibly imagine myself squealing or even getting out of my seat.

Y’all…

I had the BEST time I’ve had in a long time, and I’ve got the ringing ears and raspy voice to prove it.

Jodie, her sister, Jamie, my cousin, Olivia, and I (four of us) danced, waved, screamed and laughed for about 3 hours straight.

This is us before the show.  Try not to get sucked into Jamie's stare.

It was a great show, and the New Kids still got the moves! 

Unfortunately we didn’t have time to prepare and make signs like some of the other concertgoers.  We caught sight of these beauties:

“Make Out With Me!”

“My Husband said I could have all of you!”

“Joey’s Cajun B#$%CH”

No, we could only dream of being so classy.  Maybe next time, girls.

A highlight for Jodie:  Donnie said “unequivocabacly,” and then, realizing he butchered it, laughed and said, “clearly” in its stead.


Oh, and the Backstreet Boys were there, too.  They were after my time, so I really don’t have much to say about them, but I took a picture of them for your viewing pleasure.

You’re welcome.

Something  that surprised us all was the number of GUYS at this concert.  We were convinced these were couples in the early stages of dating, and the guys were just puttin’ in their time. 

We got quite a bit of laughter watching this guy right in front of us.  He sat there eating his ginormous plate of nachos and drinking beer through almost the entire show.  At one point, he leaned over to his girl and said, “I’m sorry, but I’ve got to go.”  He did come back and finish his nachos and beer.  Poor guy.  You know he’s wrapped.

But coming back to the New Kids…

They sang all the old songs and put on a great show.

Donnie told me I was his Cover Girl.  He also changed the lyrics from be my bride to get married and live in Louisiana.  This sparked much laughter, since the vast majority of the crowd is already married.  Sorry, Donnie, but you’re too late.  I couldn’t wait 20 years for you.  Biological clock tickin’ and all.

Joey begged me to please, don’t go girl.  That would, apparently, ruin his whole world.

Jordan pledged his love to me forever.  Just as long as I want him to be.

Apparently, I have the right stuff, and I’m their favorite girl.

I mean, really…

What more could a exhausted 33 year-old mother of two girl ask for?

5 comments:

  1. I am HEAP GLAD you could come! I am so happy to have played a part in helping to fulfill that long awaited dream.

    As for Donnie's butchery, well, we never did like 'em for their brains. :) ...and look at him, just eatin' up all the high pitched screaming. I didn't think it was possible, but I think they might've enjoyed it even more than we did!! (Maybe it was a tie.) No doubt about it, those boys loved us. All of us, every one. :)

    I'm so glad you got a picture of Nacho. Poor thing. I did notice him watching though, as the night wore on. At first he was all uninterested and too cool, but then later, his head was cocked to the side so he could get a view of the stage. I think secretly, he liked 'em, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can't thank you enough!

    And, yeah, them boys enjoyed that show. They obviously needed an ego boost after hearing crickets chirp for the past 20 years. I bet they enjoyed the realization that "yeah, I still got it."

    And Nacho...how could he NOT like the show. He just didn't want his girl to think he was less of a man. We totally read his mail. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - Yesterday was the happiest I have ever seen Mama - ever. Fuh reeyal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HD: Hahahahaaa! That's so awesome! (laughin' out loud over here)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, Daddy, now that just makes me sound pathetic! haha!

    That is NOT true...you just have a bad memory ;)

    ReplyDelete